I am a project manager with a passion for websites that achieve goals and exceed expectations. Take a peek behind that and you’ll find solid skills and experience across several marketing areas, including advertising, brand management, digital marketing, internal communications and marketing strategy.
Currently I am an HIT Project Manager at Advocate Aurora Health, a not-for-profit health care provider serving communities throughout eastern Wisconsin and northern Illinois.
In my free time, I love to write and push the limits of transmedia storytelling. I also can be found crafting WordPress objets d’art (for both real and nonexistent companies), trying to solve Fermi’s paradox and proactively shaping the future.
Pronouns: he, him, his
Areas of Expertise
- Digital Project Management
- Marketing Communications
- Copywriting / Business Writing / Feature Writing
- Astronomy & Space Exploration
Professional Work Experience
- HIT Project Manager, Advocate Aurora Health
June 2020 to Present
Plan, initiate and manage medium and large scale information technology projects for Advocate Aurora Health’s HIT Project Management Office (PMO). I work directly with each project owner, as well as serve as a liaison between various departments and leadership, in order to deliver business value and ensure adherence to project budget, schedule, and scope.
- Digital Experience Project Manager, Advocate Aurora Health
August 2016 to June 2020
Coordinates digital consumer projects for Aurora’s Digital Experience team and its vendor partners. Plans and coordinates the resources needed to ensure successful delivery of digital initiatives, and participates in overall team resource planning.
- Director of Web Design and Development, Orion Group
May 2015 to August 2016
Oversaw all aspects of the Orion Group’s website design and development efforts. Responsible for establishing strategic plans, policies, and procedures at all levels so website projects would meet or exceed clients’ needs and expectations. Managed Orion Group’s team of developers and design/UX resources.
- Project Manager, Orion Group
August 2014 to April 2015
Provide project management for on all Orion Group web development projects. Also train Orion Group clients on using WordPress as a Content Management System (CMS).
- Consultant — Digital Marketing, The Crohn’s Journey Foundation
December 2012 to Present
Responsible for this startup nonprofit foundation’s technical vision, as well as leading all aspects of technology development.
- Professional Writer and Digital Marketing Consultant
April 2006 to Present
Provide services to a diverse mix of businesses and organizations on an “as requested” basis. Also have written numerous magazine and newspaper articles, analytic features, reviews and editorials on a wide range of topics, as well as fiction published in multiple genres beginning in 1982.
- WordPress Consultant
April 2006 to Present
Create and manage custom websites using the WordPress CMS platform. Projects range from basic WordPress installs to development of custom themes and sites for clients, as well as ongoing management and support.
- Creativity Engineer (aka Interactive Marketing Manager and Technology Lead), Creatonomy Marketing Communications
April 2006 to December 2011
Provided interactive marketing and information technology support for this marketing firm specializing in the health care, financial services and senior markets.
- Senior Manager, Accenture
August 1991 to April 2006
Held a variety of positions in knowledge management and marketing communications with this Fortune 100 global consulting company. (Prior to 2001, Accenture was known as Andersen Consulting.)
- Co-Founder & Co-Owner, Abacus 2001 Computer Business Associates
June 1979 to September 1982
Abacus 2001 Computer Business Associates was one of the first companies to use PCs to provide data processing services for small businesses. Services provided included payroll processing, inventory management and custom software development. I was one of six co-founders and co-owners, and was involved in several aspects of the company’s day-to-day operations. The founding partnership sold Abacus for a profit at the end of 1982.
- Silkscreen Printing Specialist, Global Manufacturing Corp.
June 1981 to December 1984
Silk screen printed tee-shirts, caps, bumper stickers, jackets and other specialty items for clients in the SCUBA diving industry.
- Board of Trustees Member and Past President — Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation (CCF) Wisconsin Chapter
- Professional Member — World Future Society (WFS)
- Elected Member — The British Interplanetary Society (BIS)
- Currently completing prerequisite coursework in Astronomy (prior to pursuing graduate studies) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI
- Master of Arts in Communications, 1994, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, 1986, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI
- Trained focus group facilitator, 2006, Burke Institute, Cincinnati, OH
- Support Group Facilitator, Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation (CCF) Wisconsin Chapter, June 2014 to present
- Speaker, WordCamp Milwaukee, July 26, 2014
- Improv Training, ComedySportz Improvisational Theatre, Milwaukee, WI.
- Extensive global business travel, including Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, Bangkok, London, Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels, Frankfurt, and numerous locations within the countries of India, Canada and the United States.
|Project Management Professional (PMP)®, Project Management Institute (PMI), September 29, 2021.|
|Certified ScrumMaster, Scrum Alliance, April 17, 2019.|
|“Kevin is a very unique blend of talents — creative, articulate, technical, managerial — and he gets the job done.”
— Cynthia Bottrell, Managing Director — Corporate Internal Communications, Accenture.
|Sarah Choueiry, Founder and President, The Crohn’s Journey Foundation|
|I have known Kevin as a colleague at Creatonomy Marketing Communications and before that as a fellow graduate student in Marquette University’s then College of Journalism. At both, Kevin was considered by all to be the smartest and most creative one there.
— Sandra Whitehead, Languages & Humanities Department Chair, Rafik Hariri University, Beirut Lebanon
Despite how often I sing while driving, I am not the Kevin Barnes who is the lead singer and songwriter for the indie rock band of Montréal. And regardless of my nearly superhuman physique, I am not the Kevin Barnes who played football for the Detroit Lions and Washington Redskins, nor even the Kevin Barnes who played as a striker in that sport non-Americans refer to as “football.” I am simply myself; Kevin A. Barnes.